Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ancestry.com DNA testing


Ancestry.com


The newest genealogy partnership was announced June 18th between The Generations Network and Sorenson Genomics' ancestral DNA testing. The press release promises that family history will be revolutionized by allowing people to trace their roots and connect to distant cousins through DNA.

However, the press release doesn't give any details about the type of DNA tests that will be available through Ancestry.com.

It is my father's line that I am interested in investigating by DNA. His paternal line is filled with dead ends, brick walls, and family relationships I haven't been able to put together by records available.

For my father's line, I would need a Y chromosome DNA test done by testing a known male member of my biological family against the potential relatives. Uh-oh. It looks like this will be impossible for me since my father has died and I do not have a brother. I do have a grandson through my daughter, but from what I read, the YDNA test would do his only his paternal line, not mine.

There is another DNA testing method which utilizes the mother who passes her mtDNA to both male and female offspring. A match between the mtDNA of a male potential relative and your mtDNA would mean there is a common female ancestor. A male's mtDNA comes only from his mother and is not passed on to his offspring, so it looks like the mtDNA will only do my maternal line.

I will have to do some more research to see if there is a way DNA testing can help me with my father's line and the Ancestry.com press release did not announce the type of testing it will make available. Stay tuned.

No comments: