Friday, March 16, 2007

NEHGS Free Irish Genealogy Databases

When I heard the New England Historic Genealogical Society was offering access to its Irish databases free (for a limited time) to the public, I went over to take a look.

http://www.newenglandancestors.org/

The free databases include:


  • Atlases, Maps and Reference Materials - An Hibernian Atlas
  • Census, Tax and Voters Lists - Protestant Housekeepers in Counties Antrim, Derry, Donegal, and Londonderry, Ireland — 1740
  • Church Records - Index to the Marriage Licence Bonds Diocese of Cloyne, Ireland
  • Newspapers and Periodicals - The Search for Missing Friends in the Boston Pilot
  • Societies and Organizations - Charitable Irish Society of Boston
Unfortunately for me, the databases are for a few specific Irish counties, none of which are the counties of my ancestors. I didn't find any of my Irish ancestors in these databases, but these are robust databases, so perhaps you will. However, I did download a beautiful map of County Waterford dated 1798. The map actually shows tiny Portlaw where my Powers ancestors originated. The Hibernian Atlas contains all the Irish counties.

The website doesn't say how long the databases will remain free. It only says "for a limited time", so you might want to head on over soon.

No comments: