Google has continued to expand its Translation services by adding a Translation Dictionary to its Translation page. Now there are 3 tabs on the Google Translate page.
- Text and Web - The original translate page where you can enter a word into the translate box or an URL for the whole web page translation.
- Search Results - Translates Google search results and resulting web pages.
- Dictionary - Translates a word or phrase and gives its multiple meanings with related phrases
There are two major differences that I see between the original Google Translate and the new Google Translate Dictionary.
- If a word has multiple meanings, the dictionary will show the each of the word meanings whereas the original Google Translate will choose only one meaning. This leads to some of the weird and convoluted Google translations we have all seen.
- The Google Dictionary will show related phrases to show how the word is used.
The Google Translate Dictionary is still in Beta and I've gotten some unusual results from the dictionary. For example, when I looked for the English to French for the word genealogy , the Google Translate Dictionary said that no translation could be found.
At this time translations are available between English and French, German, Italian, Korean and Spanish.
Learn more Google tips and tricks for searching your ancestors.