Now you can work on your family tree anywhere with the new TreeSync feature. When you link your desktop and online trees together, you can update either tree and then synchronize those changes into the other tree — manually or automatically with your Internet connection. Syncing your Family Tree Maker tree and online Ancestry tree has many benefits:
- Access and update your tree anytime, anywhere. With an Internet connection, you can continue your research wherever you are. This means that you could transcribe information from a book while at the library or transcribe facts from an out-of-town interview with Aunt Sally right into your online Ancestry.com Member Tree using your laptop or smart phone or ipad . Next time you have an internet connection, it would sync with your Family Tree Maker database on your home computer. Or now you could take a photo at a cemetery and attach it to your online Ancestry Member tree, and with an internet connection, it will sync it to your Family Tree Maker database on your computer. And, conversely, while you are out researching, your know your online tree will always be up to date and the same as your tree on your home computer.
- Share your tree online. Family and friends can view your tree (and even work with you) without any software or an Ancestry subscription.
- Collaborate with the largest family history community in the world. If you share your tree publicly, other Ancestry members who are researching the same family lines can find you.
- If you already have a tree in FTM 2012 and a Member Tree online at Ancestry, there is no longer a need to do double entries .
When Family Tree Maker creates a Smart Story for you, the story now includes facts about the individual and his or her spouse and children. Previously a generated Smart Story included information about the individual only.
New Combined Family View
The family group view has a new “blended families” option that displays all of a couple’s children in one location. An icon next the child’s name lets you see at a glance whether he or she is the child of the father, mother, or both parents.
Simplified Interface for Upgraders
When you install Family Tree Maker 2012, the software detects whether you are upgrading from a previous version of Family Tree Maker (version 16 or earlier). If you are, Family Tree Maker displays a simplified user interface that looks more like older versions of Family Tree Maker.
Customized Fact Sentences
When you create an Ahnentafel, descendant report, or Smart Story, Family Tree Maker generates descriptive sentences for each fact or event. Now you can change the wording to customize these sentences and the data included in the sentences.
- Improved Notes Report - The Notes Report lets you display person, research, relationship, or fact notes you’ve entered for individuals in your tree. The old Research Notes Report is changed to Notes Report with options to include other types of notes
- New Index of Individuals Report - The Index of Individuals Report lists every individual in your tree and their birth, marriage, and death dates.
- Generation Labels - Now you can display generation labels (such as parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents) in charts to highlight the relationship between the primary person in the chart and other family members.
- Additional Options in Descendant Chart - You can create a descendant chart that shows the relationship between two people whom you select. You can limit descendant chart to the direct line between two people.
- Adding Text to a Chart - In addition to adding your own images to a chart, you can now personalize your charts even more by adding your own text—creating a chart that is completely unique.
New and Updated Tutorials
You can learn to do more - like creating trees and using Ancestry.com features - with new and improved tutorials accessible in the software.
You can now include media links in the GEDCOM 5.5 export.
Get 20% off Family Tree Maker 2012 with pre-sale purchase. Enter the coupon code G5JXTRY at checkout in the box marked Redeem Coupons for double savings - an additional 20% discount.