Friday, August 22, 2008

Genea-Blogger Game Statistics

This is my final post for the Gene-Blogger Games. All participants chose their own categories in which to participate. It wasn't really a competition but rather a fun way to accomplish some genealogy tasks. I didn't expect TS Fay to zig-zag across Florida for the last week, so I didn't get everything done I had planned. Here are the categories and what I have completed:



2. Back Up Your Data!

Backup data to choice of formats (flash drives, CDs, DVDs, online) or storing hard copies properly (safety deposit box, safe, etc.).



A. Prepare a comprehensive backup plan for your digital research files and a security plan for your hard copies and photos.
Completed 8/9/2008.
See Backup and Security



B. Secure your hard copies and photos in waterproof containers
Completed 8/18/2008.
With TS Fay headed our way, this has taken on an added urgency. Got some large plastic tubs and placed the acid free boxes of photos and papers inside. I tested one of the tubs in the shower first to make sure it is waterproof! It passed the shower test, but not sure it would pass the hurricane test. I'm not really sure what would hold up in 120 mph winds.


C. Backup all your data using a flash drive, an external drive, CDs, DVDs, or an online resource
Completed 8/17/2008. All of my files are already backed up on an external drive and Mozy. But what the heck, I backed up my genealogy file to a flash drive also to be stored separately from the computer. Backing up to multiple equipment does NOT seem like overkill when you are in the direct path of a tropical storm or hurricane.


D. Have all your hard copies and photos scanned and secure them either in a fire-proof safe or offsite in a safety-deposit box/secure environment
This is a work - in - progress.
All that I have scanned is secured. I'm not sure I agree that a safe deposit box is a secure environment. After all the hurricanes we've been through in the last few years, we have learned that bank vaults can flood and that safe deposit boxes are not water proof. I'm researching to see if fire-proof safes are also flood-proof.


E. All your data is backed up digitally and secured physically and you can recover from any disaster while losing only one month or less worth of research.
Completed 8/19/2008.
All my data is backed up digitally to multiple devices. It is secured as physically as I know possible.

By my tally, a Platinum Medal.


5. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness!



A. Comment on a new (to you) genea-blog.
Completed 8/11. I enjoyed reading Sheri Fenley's new blog and left a comment telling her. http://sherifenley.blogspot.com/


B. Join another genea-blogger’s blog network on Facebook Blog Networks (http://apps.new.facebook.com/blognetworks/).
Completed 8/11. I joined a number of networks tonight. What's Past is Prologue, Little Bytes of Life , TransylvaniaGenealogy, and Steve's Genealogy Blog


C. Invite other genealogists to join Facebook.
Completed 8/10. See Facebook for Genealogists



D. Assist another researcher with a research request or lookup. See AnceStories "Random Acts of Kindness Week" posts for ideas for this item and Item E (http://ancestories1.blogspot.com/2008/02/random-acts-of-kindness-week.html).
Completed 8/14. Signed up to do lookups in books I own at Schuylkill County Genealogy Ties


E. Participate in an indexing project.
Completed 8/12. See Family Search Indexing.



F. Join a genealogical, historical, heritage or lineage society.
Preparing for TS Fay didn't give me time to investigate which society to join.

By my tally, a diamond medal.

I've had a good time participating. The games gave me goals and a time frame which is always a help to complete a task.

1 comment:

Moultrie Creek said...

Congratulations on your medals! I'm impressed with the extraordinary efforts put out by all the participants. A special thanks to Thomas, Miriam and Kathryn for their efforts organizing both the Genea-Bloggers group and these games. What a wonderful way to build community!